Sunday, March 23, 2014

Meet Lori from Custom Touch Sewing

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented. We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity. All throughout March, we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!

Meet Lori from Custom Touch Sewing

BABY CRIB BEDDING
BABY CRIB BEDDING $238

What inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs?  My main business has been decorative sewing for the home but when the economy slowed down I decided to create some fun baby items and open an Etsy shop. It's fun to mix things up and have a variety of projects I'm working on.





How long have you been practicing your art/craft?  I've been sewing for over 40 years and have done it professionally for over 25 years.

What training have you had or are you self-taught?  I am mainly self taught. I did get decorative sewing experience while working for a company that allowed me to bring work home, which allowed me to stay home with my kids.

CHAMBRAY STRIPE DRESS
CHAMBRAY STRIPE DRESS $30
What is your favorite material to craft with? I love beautiful fabrics, soft fabrics, fun fabrics.

What has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business? The hardest part of the Etsy shop is learning the marketing and technical end of the business. I'd rather be sewing and don't have a lot of time on computer stuff.
 

Any advice for other Etsy sellers?  Be patient. It takes time to build up a network of people looking at (and hopefully buying) from your shop. Take the time to look around and favorite other shops and items and try and gain exposure.  







RUFFLED CAPRI LEGGINGS
RUFFLED CAPRI LEGGINGS $20


What do you enjoy doing in your off time?  I like to read, travel, work on home projects, go to lunch with friends, go to movies with my husband, and spend time with my kids and grand kids.

Describe a typical day in your life.
  Wake up, walk my dog, check e-mails and reply, sew, go to the gym, veg on the couch.

Where can we find your products online? 
Custom Touch Sewing

No comments: