Tuesday, March 11, 2014

An Interview with Brittany from BizzyBCrafts


As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented. We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity. All throughout March, we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!

Meet 
Brittany from BizzyBCrafts


Select Your Color Set of Four Mum Bobby Pins for Women and Girls
Select Your Color Set of Four Mum
Bobby Pins for Women and Girls $5

What inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs? In July of 2012 I went to visit a friend in Virginia. We went to this local boutique and I saw this adorable headband. I was going to buy it, until I saw it was over $20. It was a simple headband with a bow. I said to my friend, "I can make this." When I got back to New York I ordered the supplies online and six months later I decided to take the plunge and open a shop.


Purple and Pink Set of Six Mini Wool Felt Bow Clips for Women, Girls and Babies
Purple and Pink Set of Six Mini Wool Felt Bow
Clips for Women, Girls and Babies $19
How long have you been practicing your art/craft?I have been creative since I was little. My shop name came from my dad because he said when I saw little I was always busy doing crafts. I would sit quietly alone for hours creating. When I got older I started scrap booking and doing different crafty projects. My shop opened in March of 2013 so it's been almost a year that I have been making headbands and accessories for my shop.

What training have you had or are you self-taught?
I am 100% self taught. I taught myself how to sew on my sewing machine.
Pretty in Pink Flower Elastic Headband for Women, Girls and Babies
Pretty in Pink Flower Elastic Headband
for Women, Girls and Babies $8

What is your favorite material to craft with? This is a tough question. I like working with a lot of things. I love jersey knit, sweater knits, and cotton. I feel my favorite is wool felt. I love using it to make my little bows. Its so sturdy and soft and fun to work with.




What has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business? 

Balance is the most difficult thing. I have, like most people, a lot on my plate, and I find it challenging to figure out how to balance everything. I love being able to create, I wish I could do it all day everyday. But I am in graduate school, I'm a nanny, I work at a yoga studio, etc so there is limited time for everything.


White and Black Stripe Mother/Daughter Matching Infinity Scarf Set
White and Black Stripe Mother/Daughter
Matching Infinity Scarf Set $28

Any advice for other Etsy sellers?
Make sure you love what you do because there are going to be times where you are going to become overwhelmed with orders. If you love what you do it will be more manageable. 




What do you enjoy doing in your off time?

 I love yoga, I work at a studio and I try to practice four times a week. I love reading, especially items not related to school. I love spending time with my boyfriend of five years.
Pick Your Color Mini Wool Felt Bow Elastic Headband for Women, Girls, and Babies
Pick Your Color Mini Wool Felt Bow Elastic Headband
for Women, Girls, and Babies $5.50

Describe a typical day in your life.
Depending on the day of the week I either go to the yoga studio where I take yoga and help out behind the front desk or go to my nanny job where I watch a 22 month old little girl. From there I go to my graduate classes. One days where I don't have class I work on orders and different things for my shop.



 

Where can we find your products online? BizzyBCrafts

No comments: