Sunday, March 2, 2014

An Interview with Rene from Janiebee123

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented. We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity. All throughout March, we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!

Meet
Rene'  from Janiebee123

What inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs? After 20 years working with my hubby in his Credit and Collections business, as CFO, and then spending 5 years as an Interior Designer/Antiques Store owner, I wanted to turn my hobby of quilting and sewing into my own business.

How long have you been practicing your art/craft?

In Mississippi, my grandmother gave me sewing lessons at age 10. Many years later, when I moved to Georgia, my neighbor taught me to quilt, specifically stipple quilting.
 

What training have you had or are you self-taught?
I studied and practiced Interior Design which surprisingly helped me in quilting and doing what I do now which is design Toddler Nap Mats. Learning how to use balance, color, rhythm and scale play an important role in selection of fabrics and mastering the principles of design was a huge benefit.
 

2014 Lil Cowpokes Nap Mat by janiebee  Toddler Nap Mat   Daycare Nap Mat  Boutique Nap Mat Quilted Nap MatWhat is your favorite material to craft with?
100% Cotton is my favorite to work with for obvious reasons, but I also enjoy line drawing, pastels, and watercolor.
 

What has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business? 
Allocating space in my home. I had to wait until my oldest left for college, then I quickly re-designed her room into a sewing studio.

Any advice for other Etsy sellers?

 Be patient and don't give up. It took almost 3 months to get noticed on Etsy. Re-list at least 1 item every day. Join groups and participate! Like and favorite other people's stores and designs . Develop relationships and friendships with other vendors. Treat your customers very well and bend over backwards to please them. Open a page on Facebook. Open a Twitter Account. 

What do you enjoy doing in your off time? 
I love to read, sew for myself, garden and watercolor.
 
Describe a typical day in your life.
Each morning, I check my email, Etsy, and my website for orders. I then get my 13 yr. old ready for school. I spend the next 6 or 8 hrs. sewing, assembling, designing and packaging nap mats. I schedule USPS pickups in advance for orders so I don't have to go to the post office. I have a part time gal who does all the cutting and sews the ties, straps, blankets and pillowcases, so I can assemble the mats quickly. 

Where can we find your products online?
www.janiebee.com, www.glassbabybottle.com, www.napmatsandmore.com, www.posylane.com, www.zulily.com

1 comment: