Wednesday, May 16, 2012

An Interview with Sherri Osborne from Tickled Toes

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented.  We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity.  All throughout May we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!


Meet Sherri Osborne from Tickled Toes - Hand Painted Children's Shoes


Mod Monkey Lime & Pink Mary Jane Hand Painted ShoesWhat inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs?
I think I was going through a selfish phase. I felt like I focused my energies on my full time job as a designer, wife, mother, taxi-driver (ha-ha) etc. I didn’t feel complete without allowing my creative energy to flow. One day my daughters and I were talking about crafty things and how I have always had a passion for decorative painting. We came across a website of hand painted shoes and my ideas came FLYING! I couldn’t write all my shoe ideas down fast enough! I would wake up at night thinking of new ideas! Infant shoes appealed to me as nothing made me (and still does) smile more than those teeny, tiny shoes for those teeny, tiny feet! I knew nothing about running a business so I spent the first few months researching. I opened my business in September of 2009. From there on I have been going non-stop!

  What is your favorite material to craft with?
I believe my favorite material is acrylic paints. I LOVE bright colors and the paint is so easy to work with, dries fast and very forgiving!

 

Hand Painted Flowers On Pink Canvas Lace Up Shoes

How long have you been practicing your art/craft?
I have been painting for over 20 years.

 What training have you had and are you self taught? 
I started out taking decorative painting classes and then painted some furniture items, rooms, etc.


 

Hand Painted Boy's Giraffe Canvas Lace Up Shoes

What has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business?
I believe the hardest aspect for me has been the business side of things. I'm not very business savvy so learning the right way to handle the funds, keep track of inventory, etc. has been a huge learning experience. I have been very fortunate to have friends in the business who I often ask for advice and very supportive family who helps as well.

 



Any advice for other Etsy sellers?

Don't be afraid to go for what you believe in! Business started out somewhat slow but I was very persistent and it has no started to blossom!! You have to be patient at first!

 What do you enjoy doing in your off time?
I have two beautiful twin daughters so in my off time I like to attend their travel softball games, relax with a good book, spend time with my awesome hubby and Project Life scrapbook as well!

 

Hand Painted Girl's Dalmatian Canvas Lace Up Shoes

Describe a typical day in your life...
I’m very conscientious about keeping both my jobs separate! Both my job as a designer/space planner and a shoe designer involve creative thinking and allow me to feel complete! I work at home full time as a space planner so having no commute allows me time early in the morning and late at night for filling my shoe orders. Early, early mornings are my favorite! Nothing is more relaxing to me than a cup of “joe” and my paint brush in hand!

 Where can we find your products online?
tickled-toes and tickledtoes (Etsy)

 Thank you Sherri, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to grant


us an interview!

No comments: