Thursday, May 10, 2012

An Interview with Monica from The Hand Print Lady

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented.  We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity.  All through May, we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!


Meet Monica from The Hand Print Lady


Sibling Two Tone Handprint Plaque What inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs?
I opened my shop in 2005 when ETSY first started out. I sold pottery. But in 2009, after a year of product development and testing, I invented my Prints By Mail kit, and wiped my shop clean and started all over featuring my hand print plaques and ornaments.

How long have you been practicing your art/craft? I started ceramics in 1997 so that is 15 years total.
What training have you had or are you self-taught?  I am completely self taught. I should have taken ceramics in college. I studied Physical Therapy in college. Go figure.


Sibling Handprint Garden Stone 




What is your favorite material to craft with?
  My favorite material is by far porcelain clay. Soooooo soft!


What has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business?  Hardest aspect of taking a hobby to a business is not spending all my money on supplies. And bookkeeping. I hate bookkeeping.




Child Hand and Footprint plaque-Double Stacker with mold kit included  
Any advice for other Etsy sellers?
  Don’t spend all your money you earn on supplies; be smart. Learn how to ship properly and know those rates by heart! Take great pictures (invest in a great camera, its worth it) and a good computer)!
What do you enjoy doing in your off time?  In my off time, I love to cook dinner, do laundry, take a shower, or go to the gym. I go to church on Sunday for 3 hours. Anything but ceramics or the computer!


 




Child Hand and Footprint Plaque-Extra Large Quad print, Ornate border, Two Color with Mold Kit IncludedDescribe a typical day in your life... Get up at dawn. Make sure the older kids (all four at home) get to school, or drive them or pick them up. Get home so hubby can go to work. Work on computer until 4 yr old wakes. Get her dressed, fed, and potty’d. Feed the dog, the fish, and the hamster. Do more computer work. Try to eat, take a shower, and remember to brush my teeth and put on deodorant. Take 4 yr old to school for 3 hours. Unload or load kiln, paint, dip glaze, drill, thread ribbon, stamp clay, cut holes in clay, pour molds. Mail pickup at 1:30 pm, check mail and delivery. Pick up 4 yr old. Feed her. Start dinner. While cooking, do more computer work. Eat. Answer last email, turn off phone. Turn off computer. Check on kids homework. Give 4 yr old a bath. Get ready for bed, read to 4 yr old. Pass out.

Where can we find your products online? My blog is my biggest sales tool: http://www.handprintlady.blogspot.com http://www.handprintlady.com  http://www.etsy.com/shop/monicalasich   The Hand Print Lady

Thank you Monica, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to grant us an interview!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I love those plaques. What a great way to savor the days of little hands and feet!

Great interview too. I always love reading about how others got started on Etsy and their favorite parts of the whole process.

Monica, I notice you hate bookkeeping. I'm there with you! You should check out Outright.com, it's made a dreaded task SO much easier to manage.