Monday, May 7, 2012

An Interview with Barbara from UP TO MY KNEES IN CRAFTS

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented.  We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity.  All through May, we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!


Meet Barbara from UP TO MY KNEES IN CRAFTS




Lilac Custom Smocked Dress with Bloomers in Sizes XXS, XS, S, M or LWhat inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs?
I started making clothing for my friends for baby showers and they all kept telling me I should open a shop. I finally decided to try it out.







How long have you been practicing your art/craft?
I have been sewing for almost 8 years now since I got married.

 
Born to Explore

What training have you had or are you self-taught?
I am self taught mainly but I just started going to Martha Pullen's School of Art Fashion last year and will go in July again.
  
What is your favorite material to craft with?  
Fabric. I love mixing and matching all the colors and designs.  I sometimes am amazed but how cute my daughter looks in my outfits. 



What has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business? 
Getting known.  You have to sell yourself and I am too timid to say I am really good at what I do even though others have loved my work.
       

Formal Infant-Toddler Coat Custom in Sizes XXS, XS, S, M, L

 
Any advice for other Etsy sellers?
Having lots of items in my shop have produced the most sales.  Use good pictures!!! I had a friend take really good pictures of my items and I started working with Boutique Beauties to get great photos of my stuff b/c honestly I could do it myself but then there goes more of my time to take and edit pictures. I'd rather give the product to the model for great pictures.  I have to design the stuff anyway and then I can check how the pattern sizes run against other kids.
   
 


 Pillowcase Fashion Top and Pants Custom in sizes 3,4,5,6,7 or 8. 


What do you enjoy doing in your off time?
I love to read.  Although most of the time goes to spending it with the family.
 
Describe a typical day in your life...
Wake up, dress kids, do house work (I have a schedule) , take the kids out to play, lunch, nap time - which means I get to sew until they wake-up.  dinner then play with kids and then bedtime. Sewing time/ my time until I go to bed.

Where can we find your products online? 


Thank you, Barbara for taking the time out of your busy schedule to grant us an interview!

No comments: