Wednesday, May 23, 2012

An Interview with Amy from Little Hip Squeaks

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented.  We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity.  All throughout May we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!

 

Meet Amy from Little Hip Squeaks

Newborn Hat, Turquoise Blue Chevron, Organic Cotton Knotted Baby Hat

What inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs?  I was inspired by wanting to create something bright, unique and fun while pregnant with my son.

 What is your favorite material to craft with?  I love working with organic jersey. It's unbelievably soft.

 

 

Owl Baby Blanket, Little Illustrated Owls, Eco Friendly Organic Cotton Baby Blanket, Etsy Kids 

How long have you been practicing your art/craft?
 I design my own fabrics and have them printed especially for use in my shop. I've been a graphic designer for 6 years, and have been turning that into baby blankets, hats, burp cloths and other gifts for just 7 short months!

 What training have you had or are you self-taught?  I learned to sew in the third grade via 4-H. I didn't really fall in love with it until I got pregnant, and the maternal instinct to CREATE kicked in.

Baby Blanket, Pastel Ice Cream Cones, Organic Cotton Baby to Toddler Blanket

What has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business? My "hobby" got really difficult when I couldn't juggle my regular 9-5 job at Teen Vogue magazine. Financially, we're finally able to make the transition of me doing Little Hip Squeaks full time, and I am SO excited to be able to spend more time with my son.

Any advice for other Etsy sellers?  My advice to other sellers is have something unique that you absolutely love. If you love it, and believe in it, it will show.

Baby Hat, Ice Blue Chevron, Organic Cotton Knotted Baby Hat, Etsy Kids

 

 What do you enjoy doing in your off time?  In my off time, I love to run. Nothing clears your head and recharges you like a nice long run.

 

 

 


 
Describe a typical day in your life...  In a typical day, I get up and go for a run while my husband gets our son ready for the morning -- my husband works from home as well, so it's really an interesting dynamic. I usually take our little guy out for a walk, or to the park, or to a museum so my husband gets some quiet time to work. Then at nap time, I get to sew and pack up orders. At the end of the day my husband will take my son back out, and I can get a little more work done!

 Where can we find your products online?  Little Hip Squeaks

 Thank you Amy, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to grant us an interview!

No comments: