Friday, March 21, 2014

Meet Melanie from Starry Knight Design

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented. We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity. All throughout March, we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!

Meet
Melanie from Starry Knight Design

Giraffe Soft Soled Leather Shoes Baby pick your size 0-3m,  3-9m, 6-12m, 12-18m
Giraffe Soft Soled Leather Shoes Baby
Pick your size 0-3m,  3-9m, 6-12m, 12-18m

What inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs?
I was inspired to start my own shop after selling my baby shoes locally and having great feedback, I wanted to be able to reach larger audience. 

How long have you been practicing your art/craft?
I have been making soft soled leather baby shoes for six years, since 2008.









https://www.etsy.com/listing/122735955/
Turquoise Flower Garden Soft Soled Leather Shoes $26.50
What training have you had or are you self-taught?
I am a self taught shoe maker but it has taken lots of different designs to come to where I am now.

What is your favorite material to craft with? 
Leather and suede are my favorite materials






What has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business?
The hardest aspect of turning my hobby into business is finding ways to sell what I am inspired to make. It has taken a few years to build into a consistent year round business.



https://www.etsy.com/listing/127386726/
Navy Elephant Soft Soled Leather
Shoes (Yellow Shown)  $23.50

 
Any advice for other Etsy sellers?
Just keep trying until you find your niche. You may have to try a few different designs or styles before you find what is going to sell.

What do you enjoy doing in your off time?
I live way up in mountains of Montana and enjoy hiking, cooking and gardening on my time off.


 











 

Describe a typical day in your life.
Cherries Soft Soled Leather Shoes Toddler pick your size 12-18m, 18-24m, 2-3years
Cherries Soft Soled Leather Shoes Toddler $26.50
A typical day starts pretty early for me. After coffee and waking up with my three boys and husband, I get into my studio and either start cutting , sewing, or packaging shoes. I work most of the day on and off . Between homeschooling two older boys and ,playing or nursing or putting little one down for nap the days go by fast. I like to listen to music while I sew and cut out. I try to get a certain amount done every day to stay on schedule.




Where can we find your products online? My Etsy shop Starry Knight Designs

No comments: