Friday, May 18, 2012

An Interview with Shelly from 2 Sprouts Stitchery

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented.  We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity.  All throughout May we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!

  Meet Shelly from 2 Sprouts Stitchery

Peasant Dress in Black and White Flowers, custom sizes 2T to 5/6

What inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs?  I’d love to say it was a way to find my creative side again but honestly it was a much more practical reason. My husband lost his job right after our 2nd child was born and I needed to find a way to help support our family other than my full time job. I had a ceramics studio business before I had my children that I ended to start our family, so starting another craft business seemed like a way I could help. Sewing was something I was already doing for my children, family, and friends, I decided it was something I could do in my home and something I absolutely loved doing.

 What is your favorite material to craft with? Designer Cottons – I love all of the colors and patterns that offer endless amazing combinations.

Robot Baby Boy set with Hat, Bib, and Burp cloth

 

How long have you been practicing your art/craft?  Since I was about 5, I can’t remember a time when I didn’t have a sewing machine and fabric.
 

What training have you had or are you self-taught? I have a fine arts degree in Ceramics, but I was taught to sew by my Grandmother. I also worked in several fabric stores throughout High School and College.

What has been the hardest aspect of turning a hobby into a business? The hardest thing yet is finding different places to carry my designs - not only online but locally in stores (I’m pretty new at this part- I had been doing craft shows only). Also, promoting my designs and being “found” I guess you could say, I used to be a very shy person and getting over that was one of the hardest things I have done.

Changing Pad, Scarlet and Gray Abstract Floral

Any advice for other Etsy sellers?  Learn and research your target market. Use every available tool you can find to reach out to your audience and get to know your customer. Also customer service, providing great customer service keeps your customers coming back and recommending you to their friends.

  

 

What do you enjoy doing in your off time?  Any time I get to spend with my husband and 2 children is time off enjoyment for me. We love being together, doing anything.

 

Monster Baby set with Hat, Bib, and Burp Cloth, ready to ship

Describe a typical day in your life...  I wake up at 6:00am get myself ready, wake up my daughter for school, pack her lunch, get my son ready for day care. Drop off at day care and at my job in accounting by 7:00am, work until quitting time about 4:00. Run to pick up my daughter from school and maybe a trip to pick up my son if my husband works late. When we get home it’s time for snack, play time, cleaning, homework, and dinner at 6 or 6:30. Then we move to evening routines, more play time, a little television, baths, books, and bedtime by 9:30 for the kids. Then time for us to go downstairs to work in my sewing room (my husband helps with cutting and ironing fabric –but shh he hates when I share that) until about 12:30-1:00am, then I get some sleep and turn around and do it again.

 Where can we find your products online? 
Facebook
  etsy - 2sproutsstitchery website - 2sproutsstitchery

 Thank you Shelly, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to grant us an interview!

No comments: