Wednesday, May 30, 2012

An Interview with Dana from BabyBinkz

As many of you know, EtsyBABY team members are extremely talented.  We wanted to take a peek at the person behind the creativity.  All throughout May we will be interviewing shop owners, to get a glimpse of the designer behind those adorable baby products!

 

Meet Dana from BabyBinkz

Mini Diaper Cakes - Unique Baby Shower Gift, Centerpiece, Favor jungle, moon, nautical, sun, butterfly, dinosaur

What inspired you to begin a shop featuring your own designs? I have always been creative, but never knew I was crafty until I attempted to make a diaper cake for a friend's baby shower. I had such a great time building the cake and selecting the perfect decorations that I was hooked! I made my next diaper cake - bigger & better - for my sister-in-law's baby shower and was asked by several attendees where I bought it. I started researching diaper cakes and realized that I could make different, creative and functional baby gifts in addition to diaper cakes. One new idea sparked another...and I had to try them all! Before I knew it, my dining room was full of finished products without a home, and BabyBinkz was born!

 

Receiving Blanket Milkshake - Unique Baby Shower Gifts and Favors baby blanket girl boy neutral

What is your favorite material to craft with? I love adding ribbon and appliques to my BabyBinkz products. I think they take handcrafted gifts to the next level and truly make them unique & special –they add the extra something that makes BabyBinkz products different!

How long have you been practicing your art/craft?
 It’s a funny milestone, but I bought my first hot glue gun about 14 months ago. I really started making baby gifts as a possible business about a year now – hard to believe it has been a year already!

 What training have you had or are you self-taught?  Well, I have a Masters in diaper rolling, and I am working on my Doctorate right now. My thesis paper is on creating sweet treats out of reusable products. But seriously, I am completely self-taught. Is there formal training or certifications for baby gifts? That might be another great business idea…hmmm.

Diaper & Onesie Cupcake Gift Set - Cute Unique Baby Shower Gift girl boy neutralWhat has been the hardest aspect of creating a hobby into a business?  Simply finding the TIME to do it all! Having a full-time job in addition to BabyBinkz really limits what I am able to do as far as promoting an online business. I have found that crafting and creating is really where my heart is, so I make the time where I can. I sleep a lot less, but I love what I do!

Any advice for other Etsy sellers?Have fun, love all of your products, stand by your work, and never sacrifice your quality standards. I never ship a product to a customer that I am not 110% in love with. I would rather remake it until it is perfect than send out a product that I am not proud of. Some call it OCD. Others call it anal retentive. I call it customer service. I will have to ask my shrink what she calls it…

 

Sleeping Baby Diaper Cake - baby blanket onesie hat socks pacifier baby shower gift cute unique boy girl neutral

What do you enjoy doing in your off time?What is this “off time” that you speak of? A business owner is never off duty.

 Describe a typical day in your life... My husband travels for work during the week, so my dogs (Nibblez & Bitzy) and BabyBinkz keep me company while he is gone! I really don’t want to bore you…but since you asked, here is a typical weekday: 5:30 Wake up, think about going to the gym, decide not to go, play with my doggies, check emails, drink coffee & get ready for work 7:00ish – Place any order packages outside for USPS and head to work 12:00ish- Lunch at home; play with my doggies; check BabyBinkz email 6:00ish – Residual work from the day; play with my doggies & it’s BabyBinkz Time! (can be a combination of emails, listings, postings, Facebook, order fulfillment, new product development, product photos, website development, etc.) 12:00ish – Bedtime* this varies depending upon how much residual work / BabyBinkz work there is for the night! REPEAT 4x before the weekend

 Where can we find your products online? http://www.etsy.com/shop/BabyBinkz www.babybinkz.com www.facebook.com/babybinkz

 Thank you Dana, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to grant us an interview!

No comments: